Thursday, March 27, 2008

Welcoming Student's World

Thursday, March 27, 2008
The time now is 6 minutes to 8pm. I was so tired but I guess yesterday was even worst. This week is the most busiest week ever since I officially being a graduate student.

On Sunday night I was struggling to solve the Crop Water Requirement assignment. It was really hard and I thought I have to submit it the next morning. I was going to ask Dr. Oad to give me more time because I hardly can solve the problem. I slept late past midnight. I've been sleeping late these days.. it is kind of a new trend nowadays.

Monday..I woke up earliest possible and after quick cleaning up, I went straight to my desk and started punching my calculator and keyboard trying hard to get it solved. The class start at 11 and there I was so tensed and tried hard to get it done. The time always move super duper fast when you most need it. I had a super quick shower at 10:30 and madly run my bike to class because I don't want to be late. Well, guess what, the assignment was supposed to be turned in by Wednesday. Ha..ha..ha.. very funny eh? But, at least I have more time and Dr. Oad had explained in class on how to solve it and I managed to check with Alicia on what are the data to download. No wonder I have trouble solving it, I had download the monthly summary and I was supposed to download dailies. I like this subject a lot and I am considering to take some more irrigation related classes. The irrigation stuff really fascinates me. You learned on water control and you can apply hydraulics in there and you help people too! You help farmers to irrigate their crop and you help people to have their food supply. I am now considering to work in Irrigation Division when I come back. It will be interesting I guess.

Tuesday.. well, we had Water Colloquium at Hilton and I did not know that Dr Julien went to class, I thought he cancelled it. I missed the class. Morning, rushed to Hilton for awhile and rushed back to Engineering building for GIS class at 11-1. Dr Labadie had gave some review on the coming Mid-term exam on next Tuesday and it's going to be a closed book exam with all topics for the past 3 months. After the class I rushed back to Hilton and it was past lunch time there already and my tummy was rumbling so I went back home to eat. I'm starving! I wanted to go back to Hilton but then I stayed home and try to finish up Dr. Oad's assignment. It was a very tedious computations in Excel and very time consuming. That was Penman equations.

Wednesday.. I'd raised early and had some quick review on Water Control Structures. I have to re-sit the test because my paper was missing. The class dismissed at 12 and the test will be at 2pm. I went to Hydrology Days at Lory's and stayed there until 10 minutes to 2 and went to Dr. Oad's office for the test. It was pretty easy but pretty confusing too. After the test, I spend the rest of the afternoon in GIS lab working on the assignments. The assignments was not GIS it was hydrology. We have to solve this Green Ampt problem and it was very confusing with this whole infiltration things and the use of logical function and what not. We also have to use Solver which I never used it before. The tools was very easy of course but the assignment was not. I went back home around 10 minutes to 6 and arrived home 7 minutes later. I'm glad I bought a bike, it really helps me get around campus. Came home still struggling until midnight.

Thursday.. There was a quick snow shower in the morning and it made me a bit reluctance to go to Hydrology Days. So, I linger for a while. I hate the idea of biking in a wet day. The shower stopped around 8:20. I leaved the house around 9 and went to the conference room to listen for a while. At 11, I started to do my unsolved Green Ampt equations and had been working on it until 4. I was almost cried because I was so done with repeating the same bloody things and don't get the right answer. I am so thankful to Maia, my Russian friend who had helped me identified what was wrong with my formula. Apparently, I did not changed any units so that's why I kept getting bigger values. Ohh how I hate units conversion. It always play tricks on you. So, finally, I managed to sent the assignment on time. The deadline was 5pm. I went home and feel so relieved. A burden finally lifted up although there are many more waiting.

So, tomorrow, I will leave home early for the Hydrology Days. Tonight, I will prepare my Program of Study which I was supposed to submit to JPA within the first 3 months and apparently I failed to do that. I'm going to tell Dr Julien that I will not do any Independent Study this Summer because I simply don't have any idea what to do. I will do it on the next Summer.

Well, I really feel like student again. I am so thankful my husband has been a GREAT HELP on this and I am not sure what will I do without him. I also had spent less time with the kids and luckily they understand that Mama have lots of works to do. I'm glad this is only Master's program. So, next time when I want to do any doctorate program, I better re-consider it. It takes a long time to get and old engine running well!

0 comments:

 
Just Blogging! © 2008. Design by Pocket