Saturday, April 19, 2008

Wantan Mee Wannabe

Saturday, April 19, 2008

I had a craving to have a good Wantan Dry Mee like I used to have it in Amcorp Mall, PJ. I saw the noodles in Viet Hoa so I bought it. I made this on Thursday and browse the recipe on the net and came out on my own conscience. It is not really Wantan because I don't make any Prawn Wantan or Chicken Wantan like the Chinese so this is more like Wantan Mee Wannabe. It was inspired but the Wantan Mee style but more like a fusion I may say.

The prep is tedious but it's a good turn out. There's a lot of things to prepare and you only have limited equipment and limited spaces too. The recipe is easy but a bit tedious to people like me.

1 chicken leg, boil it to make some sort of chicken soup. I throw some chopped ginger, onion, garlic and carrots to add some flavor. I even sprinkled a tiny dust of Garam Masala. Now, that's not really Chinese when you add in Garam Masala ok! Cooked well and after that use a fork or your own fingers to make shredded chicken similar like we make it for Soto Ayam.

For the sauce, well the Chinese don't eat hot and spicy like the Malays. I like hot and spicy but I don't want to make separate sauce. So, I just fried some onions and garlic, put in 3 tbs of Sambal Olek and stir well. Put in some Oyster sauce, dark soy sauce and some sugar because it's bit too hot. Add in some of the chicken soup to it and bring it to boil. The viscosity is to your own liking. I like it not too thick and not too thin.

The condiments, fried shallot, spring onions/green onions, lightly blanch mustard greens. As for the shrimp, I just drop it in the chicken soup for a while. Blanch the noodles for while and rinsed it with cold water then lightly rinsed with warm water again for seconds before you served. Well, you can serve it with chillies too but my sauce was too hot already. Just pour in some of the soup and eat. Bon Appétit

0 comments:

 
Just Blogging! © 2008. Design by Pocket